tabs

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Stop Freaking Out.

So before I start my endless ramblings, let me just say that, yes, I have a post all ready to go with photos from my vacation in south coast of NSW. If you're not from where I live, or you're merely not Australian, that's south of Sydney. It was all lovely and I think the photos turned out pretty well, so they'll be up without a doubt tomorrow  or if I'm feeling generous with my posts, maybe I'll post it tonight.

So anyway, as you may or may not be aware of, I'm going to start my HSC. Now, I'm not one to brag about being in Year 12 or doing the HSC as I know many people like to do.

Scenario #1:
"Oh I am just SO busy you know, starting the HSC and all. This is like, make or break, if I fail my HSC, I FAIL MY LIFE."

Scenario #2:
Post a million statuses on facebook about how you're telling the HSC to "come at me" and  to say "goodbye social life".

Scenario #3:
Post a photo on facebook and somehow manage to link the caption of that photo back to your being in Year 12 or the HSC.

Now now, we will possibly all be guilty of this in the future at some point (maybe) and if you do these things, know that – whether it affects you or not – I don't hate you. You're probably sitting behind the computer going, "Oh...I do that..." That's okay, but let me also say a few things to everyone who will ever be doing the HSC in the future, hopefully this will bring you comfort.

Primarily, the HSC is not a defining moment in your life. Yes, that's right, it's not ranked up there in the "Defining Moments Chart" along with marriage, children, top career promotions and the passing of your loved ones. It's okay, take it in, I know it might come as shock. That's perfectly alright. Let me explain why this is. You see, when you finish your HSC and you get your score (aka ATAR) you should also know that while it is easier to do well in your HSC in the first place, there about 15 other ways to get into the course you want at University other than getting the right score for that course. I can positively say that after you get your degree, no one's going to give a single shit about your HSC rank or score or anything else. They just won't. Most of the time your employers probably won't even look at where your degree is from. And even after your degree, unless you want to be an academic, doctor or a lawyer, most employers these days rank skills above degrees anyway. Which is sad, but sadly true in most cases.

It doesn't matter how qualified you are, you need the adequate skills to make it in that field of work. You see if you have a degree in Media and Communications and you want to be a TV or radio presenter but you're a poor conversationalist, then they'll probably tell you, nicely, to fuck off.

Trust me when I say, that if you fail your HSC, the world will not end. There are ways around everything, it's just simpler to do well in the first place of course, but it's definitely not the end of the world if you fail.

I could go on forever about this, but I'll just leave it here because otherwise you'll have a dissertation on your hands, almost certainly.

My philosophy is to try to be as stress-free as my baby self. It probably won't work out but I can try, right ?

No comments:

Post a Comment