tabs

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Last Night's Defs-not-a-mistake Calorie Fest

A couple friends of mine had the brilliant idea of making Friday night dinner/time to show everyone how cool you can really be in the kitchen/catch ups, a reoccurring thing. In general we'll rotate who's house we'll have it at, and this week I got to pretend I was Nigella Lawson and get kooky cooky in the kitchen (DOES THIS COUNT AS A PUN??).

So we ate some things that I lovingly prepared with my own hands (tears and sweat included)*. I don't know if you remember the little dinner party I cooked for in Amsterdam, back in February, but I tried one of the recipes from that again. I made the Goats Cheese and Asparagus Galette, and for dessert, I made my own ice cream, flavoured with Italian ground coffee beans.

*Don't worry it's all OH&S approved


There was some troubleshooting and things I altered this time around for the galette. The last time I found the goats cheese I had used was slightly too strong and overpowered the dish, and I had also used three cheeses for the mixture, with mozzarella and parmesan added to the goats cheese. So this time around, I made sure to buy a softer, more mild goats cheese (a soft French chèvre) and decided to do a 2:1 ratio of chèvre to fetta instead.


As for the dough, I used wholemeal flour instead of white, which I feel resulted in just a little more crunch to the pastry. A mistake I also made last time, was taking out the galette slightly too early, it was cooked through just not as crunchy and flakey as I would have liked it. Often with an egg wash, you can feel as if the pastry is done before it actually is, so don't be afraid to really wait for that golden
brown colour.


And the ice cream... Well I might just keep that a secret for now and make a seperate post on it down the line. In a few words though: easy, variable and incredibly creamy and delicious. (No ice cream maker needed !)

New post soon,

Margot Ana xx






No comments:

Post a Comment