tabs

Friday, October 10, 2014

Stuff I've Been Diggin' Recently #3

Having entered Spring in the Southern Hemisphere, therefore sadly instigating a funeral for sweaters and thick woolly bed socks, I've turned my attention to a few things that've gotten me in the mood for the warmer months. And for the not-so-humble smoothie lover, scroll down to the bottom for some handy secrets to use in your next morning smoothie...

High-waisted Denim Shorts


If you get the right cut, these can be flattering for a lot of people. The thing to look for is a slight flare at the bottom of the shorts, that'll ensure a nice fit around the upper thighs, as I've found (from personal experience) some shorts can be slightly too tight in that area and cinch in too much – which let's be honest, reminds me of this, and I wouldn't say I find it too flattering. 

I got these subtly distressed ones from Zara, which sit well on the waist and are the kind of shorts you don't have to constantly tug at and pull down during the day (oh the woes of short shorts).  


Stocking Up for the Bikini Season 


I'm pretty picky when it comes to bikinis. They have to be functional, practical (if I dive into the water, it would be preferable to emerge still fully covered by my bathing suit, thank you), but also original. And don't even get me started on the perfect bottoms, I'm not even going to pretend that I don't actively search for the most minimal coverage – never have the words "Brazillian" and "Cheeky" been so wonderful to my ear. 

The bikini pictured above wasn't even originally my first choice, but my friend grabbed it off the shelves and shoved it in my face, and I couldn't refuse that much enthusiasm you know ?! I was pretty skeptical to say the least, seeing as, being bigger busted, a tube shape isn't my go-to style in terms of adequate support and cut. But there were a couple of clever little features that made this work. To start, the deep narrow V in the front is very flattering (avoids dreaded mono-boob syndrome) and the removable bra-like straps make this bikini both ideal for swimming and tanning. Not to mention turquoise arguably flatters every skin tone, I can't imagine it looking bad on anyone really. 

Another love for the Spring and Summer months, and many more to come after that, are Tigerlily's bikini sets and monos (below). I bought this one last Summer, and you can bet I'll probably splurge on another sooner than I'll admit – whether or not I have the funds is a fight between my bank account and I. I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction that I will mostly likely be in debt by the end of the Summer. 


Smoothie Tips & Recipe


Some of you are most likely already aware of the awesomeness that happens when you place frozen bananas in your smoothie (hello creamy dreamy goodness). But, for those who aren't a fan of banana, the same thing happens when you make almond milk (or soy) ice cubes. All you need to do is grab yourself an ice cube tray and pour in your almond or soy milk, leave it overnight or for a few hours. When you blend it all up, you'll get the effect of putting in full cream milk – without the fat. The thing a lot of people forget is that, while smoothies can have individual healthy ingredients, together they can be quite a calorie hit (and easily make a meal, rather than an accompaniment). Without thinking about it, you could load it up with a lot more sugar (from the fruit) and fats that you actually need. So go easy on the fruit, and balance it out with some vegetables (kale, baby spinach, celery, cucumber or carrot, for example). Grapefruit is also a good addition, it's high in vitamin C and is great for detox. Instead of using milk, why not probiotic yoghurt or greek yoghurt? You can also use ingredients like oats, flaxseed meal or psyllium husk to add extra fibre and thicken up your smoothie. 

Banana Berry Smoothie


For 2 serves, you'll need: 
-2 small frozen bananas
-1 handful of almond milk ice cubes 
-1 cup of almond milk 
-1 handful of berries of your choice (I used strawberries and blueberries)
-1-2 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt 
-1 tablespoon of rolled oats 

Blend for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth (upcycled jars, retro paper straws and shameless instagramming through a vsco filter is optional).

xx Margot Ana 

No comments:

Post a Comment